Saturday, November 26, 2016

The time has come, the Walrus said to talk of many things.

And whilst he mentioned “Ships and Shoes and Sealing Wax, Of Cabbages and Kings’

He did not think of mentioning feeding local small birds during the winter.
 Starlings are normally quick to arrive

Larger birds have in general a larger area in which to search for their foods. Smaller birds like starkings and house sparrows and my old friend ‘Polly Dishwasher’ as the pied wagtail is often referred to in Somerset were not mentioned


















They very quickly announce their presence.

I have often noticed a Pied Wagtail Motocilla alba yarrellii visiting the lawn at the back of the flats where I live every winter; previously I had not seen it feeding on stuff that I had put out for the sparrows and starlings. This winter keeping maybe a closer watch I did observe it sampling the sprinklings of blended mini sausage rolls, I used my blender to reduce the size of the offerings so that the seagulls could not swoop in and pick up all of the food.

















Pied Wagtails are more hesitant and much quieter

Perhaps there was an insect ot two grovelling amongst the small flakes. I must certainly keep a much sharper eye on things.



 A very quiet little bird, often checking above for seagulls etc.

I am now much happier that when I was going down to the Rocord Office at Taunton I helped Jim Skeggs with his collection of Somerset slang words. He most obligingly passed me on the first two booklets. It was a simple thing to do, in return for all the help he had given me when searching through for the files and records I had copied.







No comments: